Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Once there was a blog....

         I once had a blog.  I don’t think it was a successful blog but my Mom liked it.  I suppose a few friends liked it to but it was mostly family or at least a large portion of a pretty tiny friends list on Facebook.  I’d put up a post and link to it in Facebook and then the views would rack up.  They’d die down soon enough and I’d want to see the numbers soar again so I’d post again.  It was fun…until it wasn’t.  Well it was always fun but I had envisioned something else.  Perhaps something more.  I wanted to be recognized.  I wanted a book deal, strangers to find my blog and go from getting a 100 hits to 1000 hits or more….a hundred thousand hits maybe.  I kept it up for close to a year.  It’s filled with the drivel that oozed from my brains.  Some of it was good, most of it wasn’t.  There is a travel post, a review post, some pictures, and some Flash Fiction.  There are exactly 42 posts on there.  The first being in February of 2013 and the last being on May 4th, 2014 which while super poignant about Star Wars on May 4th is almost 2 years old.  So am I back?  Am I a glutton for punishment?  I’m not really sure how to answer either of those questions although with four kids I’d say it’s probably a yes to the later.  

The first paragraph of this here post seems to be a bit down, somehow denigrating my skills as a writer and perhaps it should be but really it’s just a statement of the facts.  I love my friends and my family and I’m glad they read my posts and enjoyed them but it always felt as if I was the ugly kid in Kindergarten that my mother swore wasn’t.  I wanted recognition outside the circle of friends and I wanted to be a part of the ‘writer’s community’.  That didn’t happen.  I was sad.  Now I’m not.  So maybe I am back.  

I turned 43 the other day.  It was a nice day but it’s also eye opening to know that changes are I have fewer days in front of me than I do behind me.  I realize I’m on the bullet train to the big light in the sky which is ok with me but it’s not okay to have a dream or a goal or whatever you might want to call this and to ignore it.  Some people are naturally gifted, some people have to work at things and some people find no joy in any of it.  I like to write….actually to put it more bluntly I love to write.  I love to put my thoughts down on paper…errrr…screen.  To type away madly as the thoughts pour from my head to my hand to my screen and then to the dear readers eye-holes.  It’s pretty freaking fantastic and I miss it when I’m not doing it.  

So I’m here to tell you I want to try to bring Writesanity back. It’s a killer name for a mediocre blog belonging to a mediocre writer who has yet to actually publish much.  I also want to tell you now, this is what I’ll use as practice as I begin working on a book.  The one thing in my life I have not done that I really want to do.  Publish a Book!!!  TO have a book complete with my name under the title and kick ass cover wrapped around a few hundred pages.  That is the stuff dreams are made of.  Lots of people have had the same dream and lots of people have obviously failed.  There are used books stores dotted all over the US with those failures and even more raving lunatics in funny farms hugging themselves close who didn’t even get the chance to enter the Used Book Store Purgatory.  I want to rise above that.  I want to be better (sorry raving lunatics - you’re a good group of peeps but not for me).  


So as of today March 7th, 2016 I am declaring myself a writer once again.  I will post more regularly and I will be working on a book.  Before anyone asks, no I don’t know what the book will be about.  For the first time in a long time I have no idea what I’m going to write.  I didn’t when I sat down to write this little piece of nonsensical prattling but I will figure it out.  I’ll brainstorm, mind map, and outline my way to a decent collection of pages that you’ll want to keep turning and then like the rest of my imagined fans will demand another and I will write it and there will be ensuing cheering by the masses.  Okay, maybe not but a man can dream.  

No comments:

Post a Comment